Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Look, Bean, it's snowing!!

As I was just about to head out of the door for my run, I saw an odd site. A blizzard of snow and rain! On October 29th!! My first thought was of canceling the training I had planned. It was 40 degrees, snowing like crazy, we're headed for dinner in a few hours. I can take the day off. Then I realized that Type I never gets to take the day off. It doesn't get vacation, personal, sick, or snow days!! So I told Bean it was snowing, not raining, put on another layer, and cranked up the national anthem in my earphones to hit the trail. As I passed by the back dining room window, I saw a smiling Beaner marveling at the weather. I thought that maybe she was smiling because she was thinking, "Wow. There goes Big Tone. Running in the snow on a cold day because it is on his plan. Good for him!" I thought again and realized she was probably just smiling because it was snowing. Ha ha. Oh well, I'll take the "arctic" twinkle in her eye as a compliment anyway! As I always tell Missy, I take what I can get!
Happy birthday today to Big Tone's Dad. You're not getting older, you're just now older than mom! Ha ha. Hope you enjoy the day.

8 comments:

Big Tone's Mom said...

Your dedication amazes me. Not that I don't think you will do your plan but that some day that extra mile will help find a cure, or at least something to control your disease.
Love you

aimeeg said...

She was probably smiling at the hope that school would get cancelled for Thursday:)

I saw a gentleman today in Seattle with a diabetes bracelet just like mine! I told him about your training and he was really excited to hear about it.

A Go Big Tone from the pacific northwest!

Anonymous said...

It was the snow....

Love u! Go ahead BT

Big Tone's Mom said...

By the way, your father IS older than me.

liltone said...

Snow...didn't stop me from running my 15 miles!

BIGdaddy said...

You keep going. Take the post office approach, neither snow nor sleet... you get the picture.
By the way after this many years the 28 day difference between birthdays doesn't matter.

Big Tone said...

ok, a couple of things. First, on my case from the north pole? Really?? Next, bean, that was funny. Also, tone, 15 miles, that was funny!! And mom and dad, there has been more debate over those 28 days in the last 40 years than over off shore drilling in the past 2 years!! Thanks to all for the accountability.

Jackie said...

Happy November to you, my friend Tone. I must apologize for taking so long to leave a message. I tried the first week, but had trouble reading the "code" letters. Embarrassing! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know how very impressed and proud I am with your progress thus far. I must admit that I had my doubts because, afterall, you are Big Tone and wherever you are there is bound to be Big Fun and I didn't know if you could sacrifice some of the vices that we share with you (particularly on Sunday mornings on hot summer days)

But I've learned over the years, how much family means to you and it is no wonder that Beaner provided the inspiration to take on this challenge. I know because of the love you show your family, you will live up to this challenge Beaner has put before you and control that monster called diabetes in the process.

Just as you have supported many of us over the years in our personal challenges, we are here for you as well. We've been your #1 fans for the Turkey Trot and Shiver runs....we'll just add some more to the list this year. Keep on movin (and thanks for including Don in some of your training) and just GO AHEAD, BIG TONE!

Love ya!