Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Like a Deer Caught in a Bike Reflector

Boy is it getting cold! Frost on the window, a dusting of snow on the fringes of the trail, and Bean has to wear a jacket in the morning. I set out today to see if I could get a three sport day in. Well, I swam 50 laps at the pool this morning. I really liked it. No problem getting through it. I even swam several laps freestyle, just to try and impress Michele Y. Still mostly breastroke, though. I get into a rhythm and I can sustain. I actually finished the 50 laps in a better time than my first 40 lap time from a month ago. No records on the M pool wall, though! Ha The closest I will come to that is my swim cap!!! A late afternoon trail ride was on my mind. Fergie and I set out to race the big heat lamp that rises in the east. From Stone Cliff at the edge of the little city to Blue Marsh and back. 12 miles round trip. It said 37 on the car thermometer when I left. I purchased a blaze orange t shirt to put over my layers because biking through the forest in October and November requires it. I looked for the blue herons Missy and I enjoy watching during the summer but there were none in sight. Actually, the cold creek seemed still and lifeless for most of the ride. Then, around a bend, she stood majestically. Her breath was visible in the late day air. A rather large doe stood in the middle of the trail about 20 yards in front of me. I slowed to avoid startling it (although I don't think she had the same consideration for me!). She trotted to the thicket in a cavalier manner as I rolled passed. Seeing a deer in the wild like that is something I've seen many times but it still provokes a certain awesomeness! I finished my ride with no other animal sightings. When Missy got home, we took a 2 mile walk in the dark through the village. It was closer to 3o and we bundled up. Margarita's sandwiches and cheese fries for our celebration of exercise! So I swam, biked, and walked today. I feel good. Also, having a great diabetes day. Well past the super highs from the weekend. Missy did remind me this morning that when I started the other pump years ago, it took a few weeks before normalcy set in. I am sure to sleep well tonight.
Thanks, Mom, for reporting on your exercise on your shopping trip. Keep dragging Dad out with you. You didn't mention, though, where you shopped. Any hints??? ha ha

4 comments:

aimeeg said...

Very cool wildlife sighting! I hear you on the cold....it was below zero today, and we had our last sunrise until January.

I said brrrr, it's cold in here........

Big Tone's Mom said...

Great job. I sort of can't remember where we were shopping or for whom. At least it isn't as cold as where your sister is right now.

Big Tone's Mom said...

Saturday, 11/22 went to mall a little early and had dad and I walking the mall. great exercise. you are an inspiration to help get us moving any way we can. your sister has to move around just to keep warm.

aimeeg said...

No kidding, -20 degrees today!!

We are all working out more here, and I have told so many people about your training. You are inspiring people far and wide.

Go Big Tone!