Sunday, November 9, 2008

...and the whole world ran


World Run Day 2008 in Temple was a smashing hit! 27 participants on the trail total. I have to admit, when my sister told me she saw the run day website, I figured I could brow beat 3 maybe 4 people to come run with me today. Up until yesterday, I still thought it would be a low key "event". I was up super early this morning with excitement like Christmas morning when I was like 8 years old (ok, my mother, father, sister, and wife are all saying, yeah right, 8!! Try every year since you were 8). Missy made some great monkey bread, we had waters, bananas, a Y fruit tray, and sticky buns from Jim and Donna on the way. My mom even unintentionally had Diabetes Awareness Month swag from the grocery store! We had a nice moment you see in the photo on the same front steps where there are usually fireworks, parades, and beers. Not today, we were setting out for exercise and community spirit. Just like every single one of my runs/rides, we first listened to the Star Spangled Banner. Then, as one unit, we were off on the trail. A handful of runners (way to go Steve, Don, and Coach Tom) and plenty of walkers. I was so proud of each of them. It was a beautiful November morning and everyone enjoyed coffee and refreshments for an hour or so after. I was so happy we could do something for fitness and charity. We will be sending a nice check to the American Diabetes Association. Normally, this is where I say Go Big Tone. This time, take a deeper breath before you read this one to yourself. Go Missy, Bean, Mom, Dad, Diane, Don, Jackie, Ryan, Kev, Brad, Dexter, Steve, Patty, Bon Bon, John, Kathy, Jolyn, Lisa, Coach Tom, Dan, Ginny, Liz, Jean Louise, Thomas, Milo, Pinot, Stoli, Jim, Donna, Zeb, Wiggles, Jaime, Cabo (those 3 out west!), and, as usual, Big Tone. Thanks.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Tone, I know you revel in moments like today, but today you were not alone. I think we all came away from the event feeling a little bit better about ourselves. We must have looked odd, all facing north towards the neighbors flag, to neighbors who may have been looking out their windows, but it made me smile and it made us all feel good. Thanks for sponsoring (or spUnsoring.) When's your next race? Will it be the Shiver or the Turkey Trot? Keep on movin!

aimeeg said...

That is so cool, Tone.

I have some pics for you then....

Go Big Tone!

Big Tone's Mom said...

truly a nice event. Not only doing something for ourselves but to know we were doing something for a great cause. You know I am 100% behind this. I know Uncle Rich would have been smiling on you also.
Keep up the good work. Like Jackie said, when is the next one. Do it one race at a time.
Love ya