Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Can you make a difference?

I had some knee pain that Missy diagnosed as a slight twisting while running on the trail with Cabo. I took a few days off and I am pain free. I am very aware of injuries. I don't want to turn an ankle running off a curb, slip on ice or leaves, or go out unprepared for the weather. I do try to prepare each time I run. Mostly that means stretching and not pushing too hard. I know I am not going to break any land speed records anyway! Back out this week with some good runs and swims. I may have to re-evaluate my swim venue as of January 1. A slight job change will have me farther from home for the rec schedules. Oh well, I'll figure it out.
As we enter December, I have a challenge for everyone. Not only is there the continual challenge of finding time for some kind of exercise but a challenge of giving. There are so many of us that are so lucky in our life. I don't mean lucky like having millions of dollars or being really good at a board game. I'm talking about the fact that most, if not all, of the people who read this site have places to go around the holidays. We are all surrounded by people who love them and care about whether their holidays are fun and loving. We all have the means to spread that type of cheer. There are so many ways to do that. Angel trees, adopting a family for some gifts, or donating some food to the food bank or a shelter. Buy someone a coffee who's behind you in line at Wawa or Dunkin Donuts. Do it with a smile and without any grandeur. Trust me, our lives may not be perfect, but they are way more richer, healthier, and full of love than a lot of folks out there. Good luck and Go Big Tone.

5 comments:

Big Tone's Mom said...

You never cease to amaze me. There were times when you were growing up (I know, no little kid stories) that I thought "how will this kid ever turn out right" But guess what kid, you are an amazing person. I am all for giving to the less fortunate than I and when I have such great kids, great in-laws and great granddaughters, what more do I want.
Love you bunches
Mom

aimeeg said...

Mom, you have a GREAT granddaughter??? lol


Sorry, had to balance out the sweetness with some smartassness:)

But really, it's a great December challenge, Big Tone--I will be on it here at the north pole.

Big Tone's Mom said...

Oh how I forget how you kids can be a smartass.

Guess that's what keeps me on my toes.

BIGdaddy said...

I don't know where they get it from.

Jackie said...

You're starting to sound a little like Oprah now! You know, with her "pay it forward" idea! Either way, it's good to be reminded of how we all can be kinder to one another.

Love ya and "Go Big Tone!"