Sunday, December 14, 2008

And Then the Old Don said he had an offer I wouldn't refuse


A crisp 38 degrees but sunny and a clear morning. The first Shiver by the River was stunning. Early cookie baking at my parents with all of us present. Wiggles was even there. She arrived late Saturday. Right in time for us not to spoil the surprise of an early Christmas present. We are going to Monday Night Football to see the Eagles play the Browns. I, of course, lent my expertise to all the cookie recipes. I am much better than Aimee at helping in the kitchen! I kept hydrating and tried to fuel myself for the 5K. I cautiously called my good friend, Don, to see if he might be participating. He said he was in! I was thrilled but didn't want to make too big of a deal, just in case he didn't feel too good about the run. The crowd seemed larger than normal and I was quite excited. I really kind of like to run in the cold. Don and I started out in the back, right next to the couples with the twin strollers! We figured we could possibly pace ahead of them! I told Don our goal was to not finish last and not get lapped by the winner of the 10K. As we started, we both agreed that we peed too soon. Perfect start and easy up the hill. We caught some friends I used to run with regularly. I was happy we could keep pace with them. At around the half way point, the crowd went wild! Actually, we came to the first corner where all our fans were. Missy, Wiggles, Bean, Jackie, Brad, Kevin, Ryan, and all the dogs. I smiled, too, when I caught a glimpse of Mom and Dad. I didn't know if they would make it!! I think Don appreciated the cheers, too. We made the loop and started down a hill that lead to the last mile along the river which is flat. We passed by our fans again (Missy handed me cash for a Shiver T shirt and Don veered off route to give Ry Guy a high five. Everyone thought he was bailing. Oh, the lack of faith!! Ha ha). We finished strong. Two good friends in tandem. One motivated by his daughter's force and one swept up in the idea of good health. I felt a certain satisifaction this morning. Not only for my own 5K completion but also to share it with everyone, including Don. For years I have been asking him to join me. And, so it is. Don completed his first 5K but not his last. For the record, we came in a full two minutes before the winner of the 10K!!! And, my blood sugar was pretty close to being in check. I needed a little insulin but hardly any. Better a little high than going low on the run. Rememeber, Go Big Tone (and Don, as long as he's on the Shiver course!).

4 comments:

Jackie said...

What a handsome man! (and Pinot too!) Again....I was very proud of the two of you yesterday. Made me envious!

Big Tone's Mom said...

It was good that the cookie tasting was kept at a minimum. Great job to both you and Don. I know what it meant to you to have Don participate too. Good job guys. More to come, keep going. Dad and I were proud to see you running.

aimeeg said...

That is really awesome! Way to go Tone, and way to go Don! Wish we could've been there to cheer you on as well, but we are always cheering for you at the top of the world!

But, um, I am way better with the cookie business than you. Just for the record.

Big Tone's Mom said...

Just to set the record straight, both Tony and Aimee like to make the cookies but the clean up is another story. That's why Big Tone was surprised Mom and Dad were there, he didn't know if we got done cleaning up or not.