Monday, September 8, 2008

Unintentional Inspiration

Claudia, or Bean to some of us, shared with me a concert experience with the Jonas Brothers. One of the 3 brothers has Type I and has written a song about his life with diabetes. After a couple of beers on the beach, I told her I should run or bike or something and raise money and maybe we can somehow get his attention and meet him! That idea seemed fun during the day and spilled over into a triathlon (we were right by the ocean!). I bought into it. The thought of being fit enough for a triathlon was very appealing. As I went on and on about it, she quickly reminded me that there would be no way I could get in shape for a tri and continue to do the things I do with diet (including those beers on the beach!). Being put in your place, unintentionally, by your own offspring can have an effect on your mind. So, with that, there were no beers the next day and plenty of thoughts on acquiring a bike to ride the tri and a scamper for a place to swim. I already have running shoes! The blog was a way to hold me accountable and I hope it becomes someplace many people visit. The attention will fuel me to become a triathlete for real! So, if the Jonas Brothers come out with support or not (of course, in my research of this idea I am only one of about 10,000 people who do this! Ha ha), I still want to complete my mission. Thanks, Bean. I love you.

14 comments:

mopaps said...

Inspiration is the best motivation...think of the Bean's words everytime you are running, biking or swimming and you will reach your goal. I love and support your fitness challenge. Go Big Tone

aimeeg said...

She may never know how much power those simple words had....You are awesome! We love you and support you and are so excited about this. Go Big Tone!

Mamacita said...

Go for it, Big Bro Tone. I'm Aimee's friend in Colorado and she told us about your quest. Now that I know that there is a Jonas Brother involved in the inspiration, I'll have to tell my daughter who will be a new little addition to your cheering section! Go for it! You can do it!

Yoli said...

You go with your bad self Big Tone!!! This is Yoli from Key Largo Florida. I am so inspired by you. I'm Aimee's friend and I am so glad she let me know of your blog!

mama d said...

Go Big Tone! Mama D here from California, Aimee sent me. As it happens, I coached triathletes for a few years. If you have any questions, pop me a line! If you already bike and run, get yourself in the water!

You will reach that triathlon finish line ... then you'll want to do it again and again and again and ...

Big Tone said...

World peace? I wish everyone had a sister like mine. Thanks, Aim. Any and all motivators will drive me out to swim/bike/run.

The Jones Family said...

We are so impressed. Can't wait to join you in some training runs especially in October. Looking forward to the H-party. Does this mean you are giving up BEER?

By the way,there is a great triathlon on the Eastern Shore called the ECo-Challenge instead of a swim, you kayak. Might be a good one to get your feet wet.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Sending lots of love,
Kiki,Patrick,Lizi,Alex,Maggie,Jakob,Nickolas

Diane said...

Good luck, Dude!! My mother was a brittle diabetic. She lost her battle with the disease in February 07. It can be a terrible, terrible disease if you don't take care of yourself. Which you clearly are doing. Kudos, to you!

Friend of Aimee's here.

Jeff Zackowski said...

Good luck Big Tone. Call me if you need a running or riding partner I would lov e to help you accomplish this great goal. I hope it doesn't stop our Philly trips to Eulogy and Monks!

Jessica said...

Tony you are so awesome!!! I wish you the best of luck with your training and will add your blog to my feed.
I will send positive vibes from California to Pennsylvania!!
Miss you guys...
AND CLAUDIA...you keep on being an inspiration your Dad is going to need all of your support and encouragement.
Much love
Jessica and Julian

Wiggles said...

"Big Tone is my Hero" is a shirt I want to find in stores one day. You will do great things with this and I wish I was there to help with the training... Love you!

Cavatica said...

Friend of Aimee's here. This sounds like an awesome goal and blogging exercise helped me swim to China (figuratively, that is). Go, go, go!

Jennylynn said...

Go Big Tone! I commend you for your commitment and drive. It is amazing what you can do when you have a "little" inspiration, help and support (Claudia). I will be in the cheering section for you.

LaneCrew said...

WOW! You go Big Tone! I am impressed and proud that you would take on such a task! You have us and lil AJ cheering you on and will support you however we are able. Way to go Claudia for giving your dad inspiration!! Good Luck and Take Care!
Love Ya,
"Geek", Gary and AJ