Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ok Bean! It's A Date!! 6/27/09


After months of saying I'm going to do something, I now am hip deep in commitment. I have officially registered for the Philly Insurance Tri for Saturday, June 27, 2009. It's a sprint distance which means a 900M swim (up and then down stream in the Schuylkill River just upstream from Boathouse Row), a 24K bike (through Fairmount Park; America's largest city park system; 10 times the size of Central Park), and a 5K run (out and back really close to the Art Museum; cue Rocky Theme). I choose this tri for several reasons. First, because it is in a place that I have grown to love, the city of Philadelphia. Second, it is close to home so I might have a shot at a Big Tone Tri Army cheering section (Mom, I promise to give Dad directions and times). Third, it's not on Memorial Day weekend which means Bean will not be mad at me for missing the weekend at Camp Jones. Fourth, Dr. John and Ralph are running the next day! Whew! That means I have truly given myself to reaching my goal. I WILL be a triathlete sometime that Saturday morning! Also, don't forget that we will be raising money for diabetes. More on this important aspect of the tri as time marches on. For people who ask me, why do I want to do this. Why a triathlon? Swim in that river? Bike then run that far? My answer is simple. Look at the picture I've attached to this post. To be an example of perserverance and pride to them. To show them that if you set a goal, go ahead and reach it. Obstacles have ways around them. I will be one of a few thousand people who will be called triathletes that weekend. I will not finish first. Most people at the finish line won't even notice my finish. As long as they see it and believe it, I've accomplished what I set out to do. Love you girls.
Thanks Mom, Dad, and Aimee for the contiued stream of encouragement. Thanks to all my friends who read(and sometimes post) and ask me about updates. You will all help me cross the finish line. A hugemongous thank you to my Missy. You allow me to do everything I do. Happy birthday early...Go Big Tone.

2 comments:

Big Tone's Mom said...

What a challenge. I already have it on my calendar (in ink) Go Big Tone, you can do it. You know Dad and I will definitely be there (as long as we have directions and around some time frame). It doesn't matter, we are so proud of you.
(By the way, if you need that wet suit, give me a holler). With the extreme support of your followers, you do have an army.
Love you son

aimeeg said...

The date is on my iPhone:)

Seriously though, you have no idea how far your inspiration has traveled. I know that there are people up here on top of the world who have started to work out more after hearing me talk about you, people who have never met you that will periodically ask me how your training is going. Online friends I have from all over the country that will send me an email asking for an update on you.

I'm might not be running a tri, but you've also helped me see that I can reach my goals that I am working on right now, too. Triathlete Tone and Dr. Gallagher:)

Love you

PS: the word verification for the comments is "river"......