Thursday, June 4, 2009

Fighting Diabetes One Beer and a Slice at a Time!


Mario, Pizza Man as he might be known around town, agreed to let me get behind his bar to work for tips for diabetes. I was hoping for some family and friends to come in and give me a hard time and tip a little more generous than an average cocktail at a random bar. That was my hope. What developed last night at Margherita's was an incredible example of community and awareness and friendship. We had more than 50 people stop by for a beer or camp out for the whole event! It was a lot of fun, although I prefer to be on the stool side of the bar. I don't think I made too many order errors. My mom and dad even drank a shot. Aimee, you won't even know them when you see them in July!! Ha ha
The big story of the evening was the generosity. The total donation amount is over $700 counting tips and donations sent prior!!! This community can really rise above an occassion. The American Diabetes Association will put these funds towards education and research so that our families, friends, neighbors, and strangers with diabetes can better live with the disease and strive to find ways to eliminate it. Every single person that contributed to the event should beam with pride. Thank you all very very much. I will compete with all of you in my heart and my mind on June 27 because together we make the difference, not just on our own.
So, when you see the news tonight and read stories of terrible events happening all over neighborhoods everywhere, think of this. Just like in the tv show, Happy Days, our town has an Arnold's. A place where we all can go and feel comfortable and loved. A locally owned gathering spot that our kids can go and we feel safe. It's a place where if there's a cause to rally behind, we know where to meet. Everyone was there last night. Arnold (see pic), Mr and Mrs Cunningham, Richie, Potsie, Ralph, Fonz, Joanie, Chachi, and the whole community. Just like the tv show made us feel good about what we watched, we all got that feeling last night.
Go Big Tone.

2 comments:

Big Tone's Mom said...

What an event it was. You have to be proud to know you are that well admired and loved for the support you got. We are all very proud. An extra hoorah for Mario.
Can't wait until the tri. We will be there at the end.
Love you

PS Aimee, don't believe everything your brother tells you.

aimeeg said...

I am so proud of you Big Tone!!! I have been sharing your story with many of my friends and they are in awe of what an incredible brother I have. In the words of one of my eloquent friends,"you're badass" :-)

Go Big Tone!

PS: do we need to get mom and dad some help?