Monday, April 13, 2009

Is Big Tone Faster than a 5th Grader?


The 1st Annual Dragonfly Heart Camp 5K is in the books. Kiki was the event organizer and she did an excellent job. These kids have all either had a heart transplant or heart surgery. They all cannot go out and do the same things completely healthy kids can do without risks. The Dragonfly Heart Camp is special because it allows them to go to a place with special medical staff to keep watch over them and help them experience summer camp all the while their parents are not under constant worry that couselors aren't aware of their special needs. My buddy, Ryan, will be going to a similar camp for Down Syndrome kids this summer. Anyway, it was 49 degrees and raining Saturday morning for the race start. The kind of weather you would expect people to watch through their bedroom windows in their pajamas. However, 76 people came out for this event that will help send kids to the camp at no charge! I ran along with Meg and Alex. We had a slow but steady pace. You know, all of Maryland is pretty flat, except these 3.1 miles!! The entire course was a rolling hill. Missy plied me with Mike and Ike's before the start and I finished strong. No problems with the blood sugar or my foot. I had a little ache in my legs for the remainder of the day because of the extra hills but they were gone by Sunday morning. Hardly a compromise to compare to what the three kids I'm pictured with live with everyday. I felt good about what everyone accomplished that morning. So, Go Kiki for putting your heart into a rainy morning event and Go Sara, Nicholas, and Darby. Enjoy the Dragonfly Camp this summer!
Also, as per Jackie's command, Go Big Tone get it done...

4 comments:

aimeeg said...

That is so awesome!

I find it really incredible that you began this blog as a way to raise awareness on diabetes and reach out to others with diabetes through your dedication to your own training. In the process, you have also raised money and awareness of numerous other issues, and it is amazing how many lives you have already touched through this.

Go Big Tone--proud to be your sis.

Big Tone said...

My sister, the smart one! Glad to see that someone has noticed. My secondary goal has always been to show those two special girls how we all live together with different skills and limitations. I hope they never live their lives behind an illness or limitation but live despite them! Plus, it takes all kinds of people for this planet to spin and they must do their part. I hope everyone reading this little site takes that idea and puts it in their own day. I've seen it done already.

Now, if I can only get everyone to read...

Big Tone's Mom said...

First of all, kudos to Kiki, what a great effort on her part.

Second, we are so proud of you son for all that you have endeavored and accomplished and for your determination, a big hooray for you.

We are all behind each and every hill you might have to go up because we know it is worth it to you.

The Jones Family said...

Big Tone,

Maggie got a kick out of your blog. I am so grateful for friends like you. Thanks again for making the trek. We raised about $3,000 which will send 2 kids to camp. It was a great feeling to see all those runners come out even in the lousy weather. Check out the dragonflyheartcamp.org website . Lots of great pictures.
Lots of love,
Kiki