Friday, September 11, 2009

Raise your hand if you missed the blog.


Tri day has come and gone and so have many many days of summer fun without working out. The day after the Philly Tri I committed to compete with Kiki in the Marshman Creek Tri on Sept 20. I thought I could get 8 weeks of swimming workouts in, plenty of biking with Don, a few more 5K's, and lose 20 pounds to look good in my wetsuit. Here's what actually happened. I got Ashley B(my official favorite B) to give me some stroke tips and only really worked in the MSA pool about 6 times in those 8 weeks. I biked with Don a few times. He started biking to work(way to go Don. Good for you and good for the green cause) and I got a flat the first time out on an early morning ride. Missy came to pick me up in her pj's around 6:30AM. She is a trooper. I ran a few 5K's, including one for Crohn's Disease that was held at the beach in OCNJ. See pic. This was special because of the cause and the beach. I ran for my mom, sister, and Lil Patty. They struggle with a disease that can really keep them from running a 5K day on sick days. I loved smelling the sea air for the entire run. It was on that weekend we spent the last of the summer with Sports and we all had a great family weekend. Thanks for coming Mom and Dad. My mom got the race shirt and she has worn it a few times with pride, as she should. I also ran a 5K called Thirsty Thursday. You run a flat 5K on the trail and finish at a bar and your number gets you one free beer. That's all we needed to hear for Don and I to run. Well, he ran, and did well in the 90+ degree heat and humidity. I mostly ran, walked a bit, and was glad not to pass out from the over exertion. The beer was good and cold though! That pretty much sums up my training so far.
Sept 20 is rapidly approaching and I need to be strong to support my long time friend, Kiki. She was moved to register for this event while watching the Philly Tri with the Big Tone Tri Army. She is a solid woman with a great family. Patrick and the kids are huge fans and they will get a good show next weekend in Downingtown. So, I staked out the bike course, which I heard was "hilly", so I could tamp down Kiki's fears. Well, her fear is real. These hills are way more than the Cecil to Chestertown ride she has the ability to train on. I get to ride through some valleys to prepare so they weren't as shocking. Plus, although I set no land speed records, my absolute favorite part of swimming, biking and running is climbing a good steep hill on Madonna. I don't know why, it's just gives me a rush. I made the loop a week or so ago and found myself smiling pounding the pedals up the mile 9 of 11 climb. I hope I can provide Kiki the same support she gave me on the day of the Philly Tri.
Oh, and I didn't lose the 20 pounds either. We have been to the beach so many times, happy hour'd a bunch and survived a week with Aimee in town that included a world tour of restaurants of home where we had to have consumed 25000 calories! My pants still fit but I doubt I will be included in Tri Magazine calendar shoot in my wetsuit.
The Bean started high school, Sports is on the downhill side of college, the NFL is officially started and Missy has already pulled her winter muckluk pj's from the attic so training time will be limited. Remember everyone, don't let "life" get in the way of exercise. Set winter goals. Football and holidays are most definitely going to include calories so put burning calories in your day.
And when you wake up next Sunday, give a little shout out the window for Go Big Tone and Kiki...

3 comments:

aimeeg said...

Bout flippin time you update! :)

I will be thinking of you and Kiki next Sunday and will give a good old desert shout out to you both.

So when are you going to run in the Reno/Tahoe area????

Big Tone's Mom said...

I had my hand raised for two months checking this blog and finally Lisa got you to give an update.

dad and I will definitely be cheering you and Kiki on next Sunday loud and clear.
Love to you both for doing it and certainly proud.

LisaMack said...

Finally an update. I've checked this site everyday for 2 months waiting for an update. Way to go Big Tone !!. Good luck on Sunday.

Adult CCD is starting in a week, hope to see you and Missy sometime.