Thursday, May 7, 2009

Run to Inspire, Inspired to Run!


I kind of wish there were 8 days in a week since I put myself on a schedule to train into the event, 8 weeks from this weekend! Most days are days with double event routines. A lot of it is building up the run. 60 minutes of running the week or so before the event. 2 weeks before the event, Sunday's workout is 30 minutes of all three. But the secret to preparation is strength training. I do like lifting weights. We have a nice dumbell set that all four of us use in one way or another. Of course, Sports brought a few up to the living room over Christmas break and they are still there. The weather, too, is helping. I have been able to get some nice spring runs out and around the church. I appreciate all the Go Big Tone's (thank you Eric). My weakness is finding time to swim. I can get to the school at 6AM on a Monday and Wednesday but that has been rather challenging. I think that if I continue to double up the bike/run and swim when I can I'll be ok. Also, over Memorial Day weekend, I'll be taking my Aquaman getup to the Chester River for some boat supervised open water swimming. I can already hear the peanut gallery comments! I already got to try out the cold water, though. The Y pool was open a few weeks ago and Steve and Michele said I should give it a go. 55 degrees and no audience would give me a good experience. Well, I tried to do that on my own but luckily Michele hadn't left because she had the nightmarish chore of helping me zip my suit up!! Oh the things people do to help out Big Tone. Thank you for that!!
The Type I has not really gotten the best of me lately. I have been able to properly fuel on the day of a run which really helps. There were a few nocturnal hypo events which wipes me out in the morning. That is just one aspect of the diabetes that I cannot seem to master. Missy is always there to make sure I get what I need. What would I do without her.
Sports is home and so is Cabo. He will be here for the summer. I kind of like having him around. Oh, and her too! He will either learn a few things or make a few enemies in our house. The jury is still out. I plan on running a little energy out of him every day.
The weather says to all of you, get out and walk/run/bike/skate/or whatever makes you smile. And as always, Go Big Tone...

3 comments:

aimeeg said...

8 weeks, wow time has flown by! Sounds like your training schedule is going really well.

Nice picture in the post, by the way.....


Go Big Tone!

Big Tone's Mom said...

As always, GO BIG TONE!
One of your greatest supporters.

aimeeg said...

Hey, slacker, time to update....

By the way, it's one month away.....